Close this search box.

South Sydney College

Enhance Your English Proficiency With Our ELICOS Course



People study English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) in Australia for various reasons. Some take it to improve their mastery of the English language and prepare for further studies. In contrast, others attend classes to improve their English skills and expand their social and networking opportunities.

South Sydney College offers English courses in Sydney for international students. With the help of our highly passionate and qualified instructors, you can expand your vocabulary as well as develop and refine your English-speaking abilities. Rest easy knowing that our courses are fully aligned with the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).

What is ELICOS?

ELICOS is the Australian equivalent of English language courses like English as a Foreign Language (EFL) or English as a Second Language (ESL). Australia’s Department of Education, Skills, and Employment specified that it has a minimum of 20 “scheduled course contact hours per week of [classes] of English language instruction.” Depending on the institution you’re attending, you may choose to take any of the following:

General English

With a focus on developing your English language and communicative skills, the General English course has various proficiency levels that are based on the statistics provided by the CEFR. You can be placed from beginner level (A1 or A2) to advanced (C1 or C2). The length of this course may span from 5 to 20 weeks.

English for Academic Purposes and English for Further Studies

The instructors who teach this course focus on spoken and written English, which you may need for further studies. The classes you will attend will help prepare you for college or university by improving your English proficiency. This course’s duration can range from 5 to 52 weeks.

Exam Preparation

People who will take the International English Language Testing System, Test of English as a Foreign Language, or Pearson Test of English exam usually enrol in the Exam Preparation course. The classes involve lessons on general speaking and writing skills as well as exam structures. This course may last from 5 to 10 weeks.

English for Special Purposes

Some institutions offer English for Special Purposes courses where lesson plans are specifically made for particular contexts. Some programs under it include English for Business, English for Hospitality, and English for Health Professionals. The course length would depend on the area of focus you have enroled for.

English for Teaching

Taking courses like Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) or English for Teaching Children (EfTC) will equip you with the needed skills to teach English in your home country. If you are planning to become an instructor at a tertiary educational level, you should expect a longer course duration,

Study Tour

An alternative to classroom-based learning, study tours can help you learn English through many sports, and cultural, social, and tourist activities. Most study tours last only a few days, usually with a maximum of only two weeks.

What Are the Benefits of Studying ELICOS?

There are various advantages of studying English courses in Sydney for international students. This includes:

Learn English Quickly

ELICOS instructors will help you familiarise yourself with reading, writing, and talking in English. Since the size of each class is usually small, you can receive more one-on-one attention from the staff member handling each lesson.

Colleges are required to go through a certification process called the National English Language Teaching Accreditation Scheme (NEAS), which ensures that schools uphold high standards of education in English language teaching. You can be sure that institutions that provide ELICOS courses only employ qualified people.

Discover More Opportunities

If you’re planning to migrate to primarily English-speaking countries, taking ELICOS courses is a great investment. Various opportunities await foreigners who can fluently speak and write in English.

Build New Connections

By choosing to take ELICOS courses, you can meet new people. Building a network is vital as you also form connections that you may need in the future to support your career. Your classmates could very well help you open new doors.

How Much Is It To Study an English Course in Sydney for International Students?

Sydney, Australia an amazing city to live and work in. The people found here are extremely friendly, and they welcome international students and migrants from different parts of the world. Additionally, it is an economical option for international students.

The standard weekly tuition fee for General English ELICOS courses at South Sydney College is AU$275. Your total costs would highly depend on how long your English course would be as well as your living arrangements.

Australia’s Department of Home Affairs stated that with an Independent ELICOS Sector Visa (subclass 570), you also have the option to “work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks.” You simply need to keep in mind that you will be under the purview of state and territory workplace laws.

An individual on a Student Visa is entitled to earn a minimum wage of AU$18.23 per hour (before tax). This amount applies to those who are working both on and off campus during the period of their full-time study.

How Do You Apply for an ELICOS Visa?

Deciding to study in Australia is a big step. One thing you have to consider before you fly to the Land Down Under is your visa. There is a specific visa available for students who will be taking ELICOS courses.

Students who have an Independent ELICOS Sector Visa (subclass 570) will be able to:

  • Study in Australia
  • Have dependent family members accompany you to Australia
  • Work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and have unlimited work hours during scheduled course breaks
  • Have family members work up to 40 hours per fortnight, provided you have begun your course of study in Australia.
  • Have family members who are 18 or older study in Australia for up to three months*

* If your family member wants to study and attain more certificates, diplomas, or degrees after the three months are up, they must apply for their own student visa. They can submit their application while they are in Australia.

Have Questions? Send us a message

Ask us anything about studying in Australia, how to get a Student Visa, or information about our courses (it’s free!). We’re always ready to help.

Share this post:


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top